RE: [Videolib] who is streaming videos

Patti Berky (paf3@psulias.psu.edu)
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:15:04 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_DtSB1/PVNoPxAYtzTjE2qg)

On 5/8/06.

At 02:44 PM 7/20/2006, you wrote:
>The date you sent the survey out was April 25th, but I don't recall =
when=20
>you sent out the results.
>
>Michael Brewer
>Slavic Studies, German Studies & Media Arts Librarian
>University of Arizona Library A210
>1510 E. University
>P.O. Box 210055
>Tucson, AZ 85721
>Voice: 520.307.2771
>Fax: 520.621.9733
><mailto:brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu>brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

If=20
>your classrooms have suitably fast network connections (at least 10m=
b, but=20
>preferably 100 or more) you should stream just fine.
>

>Gary
>
>At 09:21 AM 7/20/2006, you wrote:
>

>Hello,
>
>I need to find out what universities are streaming videos and what s=
ystem
>they are using. I don't need to know about leasing like Films on Dem=
and from
>FFH. I need to know which universities are actually paying for the
>copyrights to stream a particular title and hosting it in their serv=
er.

>We are starting to do so, but we are having difficulties with bandwi=
dth and
>other problems. So the technology people is looking to buy some tool=
s or
>whatever to be able to do it. At this point what we have in streamin=
g works
>well if somebody is watching in an individual computers but does not=
work to
>show in a classroom because it can't be projected due to the amount =
of
>bandwidth we have and others.
>
>You can reply to me directly
>Thanks o much
>Cindy

>Cindy Badilla-Melendez
>Media Resources Librarian
>O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,
>University of St. Thomas
>phone (651) 962-5464
>fax (651) 962-5406
>

>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of=
=20
>issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliograp=
hic=20
>control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats=
in=20
>libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will s=
erve=20
>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a chan=
nel of=20
>communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video=
=20
>producers and distributors.
>
>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley
><mailto:ghandman@library.berkeley.edu>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
>*****
>
>"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail,
> all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation o=
f=20
> spectacles."
> --Guy Debord
>
>VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of=
=20
>issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliograp=
hic=20
>control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats=
in=20
>libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will s=
erve=20
>as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a chan=
nel of=20
>communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video=
=20
>producers and distributors.
>
>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley
>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
>*****
>
>"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail,
> all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation o=
f=20
> spectacles."
> --Guy Debord

Patti Berky
Audiovisual Acquisitions
The Pennsylvania State University
126 Paterno Library
University Park, PA 16802
<paf3@psulias.psu.edu>
Tel: 814-865-1858
Fax: 814-863-7293=20

--Boundary_(ID_DtSB1/PVNoPxAYtzTjE2qg)

On 5/8/06.

At 02:44 PM 7/20/2006, you wrote:

The date you sent the= survey out was April 25th, but I don=92t recall when you sent out= the results.

Michael Brewer=