RE: [Videolib] who is streaming videos

Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:44:04 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6AC2C.7949F4BC

The date you sent the survey out was April 25th, but I don't recall when
you sent out the results.=20

=20

Michael Brewer

University of Arizona Library A210

1510 E. University

P.O. Box 210055

Tucson, AZ 85721

Voice: 520.307.2771

Fax: 520.621.9733

brewerm@u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:02 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] who is streaming videos

=20

No...I sent out a survey of libraries who were streaming and got a
handful of replies, which I posted. Anyone remember the date?

Gary

At 10:32 AM 7/20/2006, you wrote:

I think the previous survey had more to do with the companies who were
offering streaming services, no? This sounds like the flip side of the
coin. Unless I'm missing something... I'm looking forward to hearing
more about who's doing their own licensing negotiations (i.e. not
relying on a commercial intermediary). I can only imagine how difficult
/ complicated this would be, so any stories / anecdotes would definitely
be interesting.

Best,

=20
*************************
Meghann Matwichuk, M.S.
Senior Assistant Librarian
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302)
831-1475

Gary Handman wrote:=20

Hi Cindy=20

There was a survey that wend out on videolib a few months back re this.=20

Projection in a classroom has nothing to do with bandwidth, per se. If
your classrooms have suitably fast network connections (at least 10mb,
but preferably 100 or more) you should stream just fine.=20

Gary=20

At 09:21 AM 7/20/2006, you wrote:=20

Hello,=20

I need to find out what universities are streaming videos and what
system=20
they are using. I don't need to know about leasing like Films on Demand
from=20
FFH. I need to know which universities are actually paying for the=20
copyrights to stream a particular title and hosting it in their server.=20

We are starting to do so, but we are having difficulties with bandwidth
and=20
other problems. So the technology people is looking to buy some tools or

whatever to be able to do it. At this point what we have in streaming
works=20
well if somebody is watching in an individual computers but does not
work to=20
show in a classroom because it can't be projected due to the amount of=20
bandwidth we have and others.=20

You can reply to me directly=20
Thanks o much=20
Cindy=20

__________________________________________________=20
Cindy Badilla-Melendez=20
Media Resources Librarian=20
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,=20
University of St. Thomas=20
phone (651) 962-5464=20
fax (651) 962-5406=20

producers and distributors.=20

Gary Handman=20
Director=20
Media Resources Center=20
Moffitt Library=20
UC Berkeley=20
ghandman@library.berkeley.edu=20
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC=20

*****=20

"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail,=20
spectacles."=20
--Guy Debord =20

producers and distributors.=20

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
--Guy Debord=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6AC2C.7949F4BC

The date you sent the survey out = was April 25th, but I don’t recall when you sent out the results. =

Michael Brewer

Slavic Studies, German Studies & = Media Arts Librarian

[...]

Instructional Media Collection =
Department
Morris Library, University of =
Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302)
831-1475

Gary Handman wrote:

Hi Cindy

[...]

You can reply to me directly
Thanks o much
Cindy

Cindy Badilla-Melendez
Media Resources Librarian
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,
University of St. Thomas
phone (651) 962-5464
fax (651) 962-5406

VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of = issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic = control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries = and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an = effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.

UC Berkeley
ghandman@library.berkeley.e= du
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC

*****