RE: [Videolib] 3M DVD overlay issues: Fact or Myth?

Williams, Ms Beth (ewilliam@mansfield.edu)
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:26:33 -0400

We have been using them for just over two years and have had no
significant playability issues. I haven't noticed any difference with
dual-layer DVDs, either way. When a patron complains about poor
playability, we check the DVD on a player here and over 90 percent of
the time, the DVD is fine, so we assume the poor playability is more
related to the quality of the patron's DVD player than anything else.
We put the double-sided DVDs in security cases.

Beth Williams
Circulation Supervisor
North Hall Library
Mansfield University
ewilliam@mansfield.edu
From: owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:owner-videolib@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Logan, Michael
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 8:15 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] 3M DVD overlay issues: Fact or Myth?

Our public library has avoided using the 3M security overlays on our
DVDs because we kept hearing reports of playability issues. However, in
the nearly two years since I've started following this particular issue,
whenever I've communicated with libraries that use them, nobody has
reported any problems with them. I'm beginning to become suspicious. Is
this, in fact, an urban myth? The poodle in the microwave, if you will,
for us AV geeks?

Let us shine a light on this matter. I would very much like to hear from
any and all libraries that are currently using 3M Tattletape DCD-2
overlays on their DVDs. Have you in fact had playability problems? Do
they work like a dream? Do you wish you had never laid eyes upon them?
Do they have a better/worse effect on dual-layer DVDs (as some
preliminary reports indicate--and I don't mean double-sided DVDs)?

There are "reports," sure. Rumors abound. Let us have fact. Let us have
first-hand knowledge. Everyone who uses this product, share the wisdom
of your experience. 3M overlay playability problems: cold, hard
fact...or just another choking Doberman?

I want to believe,

Michael Logan
Acquisitions & Technical Services
Humboldt County Library(