Re: [Videolib] PPR question

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 05 Jul 2006 17:32:50 -0400

Frankly there is no way to tell what the distributor means as they are just
Using phrases. I assume that this was ONLY available from the distributor
an not through any 3rd party source because unless you in face specifically
needed PPR rights you need not have paid for them .
I suspect that the "exhibited commercially " phrase was in reference to
Say a student film series with admission but that is only a guess

However if a company retains the exclusive right to sell/ distribute a
specific title there is not much you can do about the pricing other than
pass on an item which you may need.

Just curious what if anything would you with PPR if it had the rights

On 7/5/06 5:10 PM, "Ciara Healy" <cmhealy@waketech.edu> wrote:

> I have an question about PPR that I hope one of you can answer. I
> recently purchased a DVD for my college's collection and noticed that
> tiered pricing was in full effect. The home use version was $25.00 and
> the other - perhaps called "institutional", I forget the wording - price
> was $195. Perhaps I foolishly assumed that the difference in price was
> due to having to pay for the public performance rights included with the
> higher price. Here is the rub: The paperwork that came along with this
> DVD states that the "Program may not be exhibited commercially." Is that
> commercial exhibition different from the film being performed
> publically?
>
> Was the higher price just that.. a higher price based on what the film
> distributor believes my college can (and did) pay?
>
> I have run across a rash of this lately - renting a car and they now
> restrict where you can drive it to and you have to submit a general
> itinerary before they will rent to you. My ipod only works in one
> direction - from computer to ipod - even though there are several legal
> uses of my music that would allow me to transfer in the other direction.
> Basically the prevention of piracy or misuse impinges on my legal use.
>
> Ciara
> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner