Re: [Videolib] Fair Use site worth checking out.

Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:58:27 -0700

--=====================_301494390==.ALT

Glad you approve, Jessica. Apparently you missed

The third factor courts consider is the amount of the original work
that is taken, and its "substantiality"--that is, how important it is
to the original work. The less of a work that is taken, the more
likely it is to be fair. But even the whole work can be taken, if it
is for a fair and legitimate purpose. The Supreme Court has held, for
instance, that copying an entire TV show for purposes of home viewing
at a later hour is fair use.
(<http://fairusenetwork.org/reference/refs-cases.php#Sony464US417>Sony
v. Universal City Studios).
http://fairusenetwork.org/reference/c-fairuse3.php

[emphasis mine]

Gary

At 02:33 PM 6/19/2006, you wrote:
>Looks fine to me. Especially the emphasis that while all four factors are
>taken into account the fact that something basically has to be
>"transformative "to qualify works for me. Trust no one will make fun of me
>again about this
>

>On 6/19/06 4:59 PM, "Gary Handman" <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> > http://fairusenetwork.org/
> >

> > Gary Handman
> > Director
> > Media Resources Center
> > Moffitt Library
> > UC Berkeley
> > ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> > http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
> >
> > *****
> >
> > "In societies where modern conditions of production prevail,
> > all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of
> > spectacles."
> > --Guy Debord
> >

> > VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues
> > relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control,
> > preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in
> libraries and
> > related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective
> > working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication
> > between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and
> > distributors.
>

>Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
>
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>jrosner@kino.com
>212-629-6880

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
--Guy Debord

Glad you approve, Jessica.  Apparently you missed

The third factor courts consider is the amount of the original work that is taken, and its "substantiality"--that is, how important it is to the original work. The less of a work that is taken, the more likely it is to be fair. But even the whole work can be taken, if it is for a fair and legitimate purpose. The Supreme Court has held, for instance, that copying an entire TV show for purposes of home viewing at a later hour is fair use. ( Sony v. Universal City Studios).