Re: [Videolib] FW: Circulation of AV materials to faculty

Nell Chenault (njchenau@vcu.edu)
Thu, 01 Jun 2006 02:31:29 -0400

VCU Libraries' faculty loan policy for media:

* Film formats:
o DVD's: 1 week; videos, laserdiscs & 16 mm: 3 days; $1 / day
overdue fine. The one week loan on dvd's was an
experiment. We plan to extend it to other film formats.
o We also offer film booking for future show dates or extended
loan. The faculty request pick-up and return dates as
needed; these booking loan lengths range from one day to
one semester. If faculty request more than one month loan,
we discuss their needs with them and require them to return
the film if recalled or other user. We negotiate booking
conflicts with multiple faculty needing one title during the
same time.
o Renewals are blocked within the ILS and must be checked
against the booking system before we override the renewal
limit block. 20 on loan / time
* Musical recordings: 1 week; $1 / day overdue fine; 2 renewals.
20 / time
* Other media (cassettes, CD-ROM's, slides, games, etc.): 3 weeks;
$ . 25 / day fine; 6 renewals, 20 / time
* Books: 6 months; $ . 25 / day fine; 6 renewals. 100 / time

We also provide media course reserves.
We ILL most media formats, but always check ILL requests against license
agreements, booking, or core curricular titles.

Non-returned lost fee after 40 days (books & general media) or 21 days
(film formats and music recordings). The standard lost fee is $70, but
we have the right to charge more. If the item is over $100 price, we
modify the lost fee to the cost plus $20 processing fee. If the Lost
fee is not paid or the item returned within 45 more days, we send the
user to our state collections program which withholds funds from tax
returns, etc.. We also block users at Records & Registration, but this
is less effective with faculty who rarely register for classes.

Few faculty reach their media loan limit. Most only have a few films or
recordings on loan at one time. When faculty are previewing titles for
a new course, we may need to exceed their loan limit of 20 dvd's or
videos at one time. This loan limit block must be overriden by the
shift supervisor.

We do tend to be lenient with faculty overdue fines for media. We try
to work with habitual offenders to use media booking with realistic loan
lengths for their curricular needs.

We have had few videos, cd's, or dvd's not returned by faculty. They
view us as partners in access to important resources. Their lost fees
are usually due to stolen material, loss with luggage, or damaged
material. With shorter loans, faculty do not have time to loose them in
their office (like books)!

Our biggest problem with non-returned materials is undergraduates. As
an urban university, many of our students may leave the university
without returning library materials. Students are jolted when they
receive a high lost fee bills for videos; they think they all cost
$19.99 at Amazon and are shocked at institutional, educational video prices.

Some faculty think the library bought the film for them to keep within
their own dept. office. These tend to be expensive films the the
faculty cannot afford to purchse themselves. We will lend a title for
one semester, but not another. We remind these faculty that the film
needs to be available for other users and review our service options for
access. We recall the item if other users have an interest in that
film. If the faculty does not return these films, we do not renew and
make sure that they are blocked and billed for the full replacement
fee. This is very effective in getting the films back.

Another issue: faculty think films are always available when they need
them. It always amazes me when faculty say that they are the only one
who uses that film. Our staff are sometimes happy when these faculty
breeze by just before class and find that someone else has their title
on loan. These faculty quickly become users of our booking system.

I recommend extending loan access as much as you can. We made changes
in 1997 to extend access to videos to graduate and honor students and
muisc recording loan to all VCU users. We still have loan restrictions
for expensive, core curricular, and faculty high use dvd/video titles:
undergrads must view these restricted loan films within the media center
or be proxied by a faculty to check them out of the library.
Undergraduates can check out a large percentage of our dvd and video
collections which are non-restricted. We previously did not loan
musical recordings to students. Music faculty have rarely run into
situations where music works are not available for use in class and use
of recordings and scores is up for students.

Access restriction issues with media collections are being eased by
digital media collections. We have online musical resources such as
Classical Music Library. We hope to get digital access to core
educational film titles within the next few years.

Good luck!

Nell Chenault
Access & Media Librarian
VCU Libraries