Re: [Videolib] current event video recordings

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:56:48 -0400

To the best of my knowledge the news event itself can not be copyrighted
BUT anything such as commentary, theoretically even those annoying bars
running across the screen etc can be so I think you are perfectly safe with
A straight Presidential news conference but anything surrounding it or other
news events could be tricky. For example the infamous OJ chase was always
accompanied by commentary so that could be a problem

On 7/5/06 4:10 PM, "Maureen Tripp" <Maureen_Tripp@emerson.edu> wrote:

> Summer project time:
> Our dept. has recorded breaking news stories, presidential press conferences,
> etc. over the past decade. These tapes are on VHS, and are not cataloged in
> the collection.
> I would like to make them available to our students and faculty, by
> transferring them to DVD and cataloging them.
> Can I copy them?
> Can I catalog them?
> thanks for your input--and happy summer!
>
> Maureen Tripp
> Media Librarian
> Media Services Center
> 180 Tremont St. 3rd Floor