Re: [Videolib] Re: Eminent domain and US housing policy

Ben Achtenberg (ben@fanlight.com)
Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:32:12 -0400

Also check out "The House We Live In," the third film in California Newsreel's excellent three-part series "Race: The Power of an Illusion." The films cover a lot of territory, but one of the main sequences in the third film is as described below -- it might be about the right length for this instructor's needs:
Next we see how Italians, Jews and other European ethnics fared better, especially after World War II, when segregated suburbs like Levittown popped up around the country, built with the help of new federal policies and funding. Real estate practices and federal government regulations directed government-guaranteed loans to white homeowners and kept non-whites out, allowing those once previously considered "not quite white" to blend together and reap the advantages of whiteness, including the accumulation of equity and wealth as their homes increased in value. Those on the other side of the color line were denied the same opportunities for asset accumulation and upward mobility.
It might also be worth posting this query on thelistserv at Planners Network (www.plannersnetwork.org).

Ben