=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:=20[Videolib]=20Women's=20Issues=20/=20Gender=20?=

MileFilms@aol.com
Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:50:00 EDT

--part1_46b.25a8697.31b090d8_boundary

In a message dated 6/1/06 2:30:57 PM, bwaterman@sfpl.org writes:

> >> I have been asked by one of our Women's Studies professors to help in
>=20
> >> finding a Japanese film to show for a class that would fit the theme
> >> of women's issues in international film.
>=20

We've seen quite a few of them over the years and distribute some ourselves=20
including Woman in the Dunes and Life of Oharu (the best on the subject but=20
both are more than 40 years old)

However, among current films, our film Maborosi is my favorite (that's why w=
e=20
spent so much to release it at the time) and just about any by Mr. Kore-eda=20
would do. Maborosi is an incredible film.

A little older -- from the 1980s onward -- would be Sandakan 8, Ballad of=20
Orin and Kariyuki-san (a great doc by the recently departed Imamura).=20

The issue of Sandakan 8 and Kariyuki-san -- the enforced prostitution of=20
Japanese women during WWII is a theme in many newer Japanese films.

However, you should contact Dr. Kyoko Hirano (contact me off-listserv for he=
r=20
info) or the Japan Film Society in New York City to get some more ideas.=20

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video / Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
milefilms@aol.com=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0winterfilm@=
aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0www.wintersoldierfilm.com

--part1_46b.25a8697.31b090d8_boundary

In a message dated 6/1/06 2:30:57 PM, bwaterman@sfpl.org writes:

>> I have been=20= asked by one of our Women's Studies professors to help in

>> finding a Japanese film to show for a class that would fit the them= e
>> of women's issues in international film.

We've seen quite a few of them over the years and distribute some ourselv= es including Woman in the Dunes and Life of Oharu (the best on the subject b= ut both are more than 40 years old)

However, among current films, our film Maborosi is my favorite (that's why w= e spent so much to release it at the time) and just about any by Mr. Kore-ed= a would do. Maborosi is an incredible film.

A little older -- from the 1980s onward -- would be Sandakan 8, Ballad of Or= in and Kariyuki-san (a great doc by the recently departed Imamura).

The issue of Sandakan 8 and Kariyuki-san -- the enforced prostitution of Jap= anese women during WWII is a theme in many newer Japanese films.

However, you should contact Dr. Kyoko Hirano (contact me off-listserv for he= r info) or the Japan Film Society in New York City to get some more ideas. <= BR>
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video / Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
milefilms@aol.com=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0winterfilm@= aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0www.wintersoldierfilm.com

--part1_46b.25a8697.31b090d8_boundary-- VIDEOLIB is intended to encourage the broad and lively discussion of issues relating to the selection, evaluation, acquisition,bibliographic control, preservation, and use of current and evolving video formats in libraries and related institutions. It is hoped that the list will serve as an effective working tool for video librarians, as well as a channel of communication between libraries,educational institutions, and video producers and distributors.