Re: [Videolib] FW: Circulation of AV materials to faculty

Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:33:17 -0700

oh...I forgot to mention in my original screed that we don't check
stuff out to students at all (still think we're democratic?). We
allow in-house viewing only for everyone except faculty and GSIs as
noted in my original. Berkeley seems to be in the minority as far as
these draconian policies, I realize. However: I continue to think
we're justified for a couple of reasons. Unless the library is
willing to buy multiple copies, I can't see how the needs of teaching
and individual student use can be balanced. A video checked out for
a week means a video that is unavailable for classroom use during
that week. This is not the same thing as checking out books, after
all (books aren't read aloud in classrooms as part of curricula...and
more's the pity about that!) Secondly: the older and more diverse
the collection, the greater the preservation needs. I just answered
a videolib question a few minutes ago about the Coronet Films titles
Genetic Gamble--out of distribution for at least fifteen years. We
own a copy. Should we circulate it? I don't think so. So far,
Section 108 rights allow making a preservation copy for in-library
use only... Thirdly: you really gonna bill a student (or faculty)
$350 for the replacement of a lost or damaged, independently
distributed video? How enforceable is that?

I also think that it's not off the wall to consider separate policies
for movies (feature films) and for other stuff...

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
--Guy Debord