Re: [Videolib] FW: Circulation of AV materials to faculty

Ciara Healy (cmhealy@waketech.edu)
Wed, 31 May 2006 19:35:15 -0400

I wish I wish I wish I could enact this kind of democratic (not in the
mob rule sense at all) and fair policy for circulating videos at my
college! Sigh. It would be just the thing. So symmetrical, so clear, so
enforceable.... Dreamy.

Ciara

>>> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu 5/31/2006 5:53 pm >>>
Hi all

So...let me get this straight. If, as is common practice, we're
buying single copies of most titles, why would faculty get the right
to take something out of circulation for a week or longer? Seems to
me that's putting students and other potential viewers at a big
disadvantage, no? What happens if another faculty person wants to
use the piece in a class...scuffle to get it back in the door...often
not an easy thing to do?

Here at Berkeley, we take the utilitarian route (thank you very much,
Mr. Bentham): the most and best for the greatest number...which
means, we check stuff out to faculty and grad student instructors
overnight for preview and for a single day for use in the
classroom. Period. Do some faculty grumble. You bettah
believe... But they're also grateful when the stuff is ready and
available for their use. Do we fine for keeping the stuff out waaay
past due date. Absolutely. We also bill big for replacement in cases
where materials go a-missing or a-breaking (?) whilst in faculty
custody. Seems to me there's no particular reason to give faculty
favored status...they're users and all users have limits and
responsibilities in a shared resource community.

Gary Handman

At 02:28 PM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
>Farhad,
>We have a one week loan period for videos for faculty (which is in
>contrast to the semester loan period they get for books). They can
>renew the video once and we have $1 per day overdue charge. We also
>allow faculty to book videos in advance for showing to their classes.
>Regards,
>Don

>Donald Taylor
>Electronic Resources Librarian email: dstaylor@sfu.ca
>Simon Fraser University Library ph: 604-291-4930
>8888 University Drive fax: 604-291-3023
>Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
>
>At 12:16 PM 31/05/2006, you wrote:

UC Berkeley