Re: [Videolib] La Jetee

Wed, 31 May 2006 14:36:31 -0700

--=====================_11807937==.ALT

Not strictly true...a very bizarre version with english voice-over
(supposedly authorized by marker) is included on the (probably out of
distribution) DVD

SHORT cinema journal. [videorecording] 1:2, Dreams
Alternate Title SHORT.; 1:2,; Dreams
Place/Publisher Venice, Calif. : PolyGram Video,
Date c1997.
Description 1 videodisc : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
Notes "Every track is an article, every article is a short film."--Disc.
Title from disc.
Dreams -- Cafe bar / Alison De Vere -- Bride of Resistor / Mark
Gustafson -- Girl's own story / Jane Campion -- Depth solitude /
Joachim Solum, Thomas Lien ; Max von Sydow (narrator) -- Guy walks
into a bar / Carmen Elly -- George Hickenlooper interview -- Vincent:
the junkie chronicles / Michael Failia -- Big brass ring / George
Hickenlooper ; adapted from a short story by Orson Welles -- La Jetee
/ Chris Marker -- Eye like a strange balloon / Guy Maddin -- Making
of portrait of a lady / Peter Long, Kate Ellis, Jane Campion.
Cafe bar: In this brushstroke animation a random meeting at a cafe
becomes two people's "escape" from one another. Bride of Resistor: In
this sequel to the kinetic animation film Mr. Resistor, the
diminuitive scrap heap hero returns to have his heart stolen by a
plasticine mistress. Girl's own story: A girl's hopes are pierced by
the barbs of early 60's life in a film that mirrors an entire
society's loss of innocence. Depth solitude: A lyrical short film
about loneliness and the extreme measures some will take to overcome it.
Guy walks into a bar: A naive wannabe actor stumbles into a real life
cowboy fantasy while driving across country. Vincent, the junkie
chronicles: a work-in-progress documentary takes an unblinking look
at the life of an addict. Big brass ring: Malcolm McDowell plays a
controversial political icon who verbally spars with a beautiful
journalist. La Jette: The themes of time and memory are intricately
sewn into an eulogy to civilization. Eye like a strange balloon: A
whimsical allegory on man's journey through time and space. The
Making of Portrait of a Lady: A glimpse into the creative process of
directing Henry James' tale of societal pressures and private passions.

At 01:59 PM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
>Um incidentally . There is NO LEGAL DVD OF THIS IN THE US
>New Yorker will only license their own VHS copies
>
>More fun issues with copyright etc
>

>On 5/31/06 4:05 PM, "Montri, Tracy" <tmontri@toledolibrary.org> wrote:
>
>Hello all -
>
>Does anyone out there know where I can acquire the public
>performance rights for La Jetee, dir. by Chris Marker, 1962?
>
>Thank you in advance for your help!
>

>Tracy Montri
>Manager, Audiovisual Department
>Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
>325 Michigan
>Toledo, Ohio 43624
>419-259-5285
>Fax 419-255-1334
>tmontri@toledolibrary.org
>

>Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
>
>Jessica Rosner
>Kino International
>333 W 39th St. 503
>NY NY 10018
>jrosner@kino.com
>212-629-6880

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
--Guy Debord

Not strictly true...a very bizarre version with english voice-over (supposedly authorized by marker) is included on the (probably out of distribution) DVD

SHORT cinema journal. [videorecording] 1:2, Dreams
Alternate Title
SHORT.; 1:2,; Dreams
Place/Publisher
Venice, Calif. : PolyGram Video,