Re: [Videolib] FW: Circulation of AV materials to faculty

Ciara Healy (cmhealy@waketech.edu)
Wed, 31 May 2006 16:30:32 -0400

Farhad,
We have a one week check out on videos/dvds to faculty but the limit
is a bit of a joke because we do not impose overdue fines, do not have a
robust recall function and basically let instructors keep things for as
long as they want them. I do send out reminders and overdue notices and
try to encourage faculty to renew via their online library accounts, but
to little avail. I am working on the media policy this summer and one
idea I had was to extend the check out length to one semester, but beef
up our recall option, but the recall didn't really work in an obvious
way in the OPAC. Similarly, we can set a custom due date for instructors
and we often offer this, and the reply is, quite often, "Let me have it
for the whole semester." I guess it saves them a trip to the library
because they probably just show the film for one or two class periods.
But we really want these items to circulate so are keeping the one week
circulation period, though we hope to tweak it across time and create a
policy to deal with this in some non- threatening, non-fine-imposing
way... "marketing" that the instructors return the items has been
mentioned. sigh. I have also thought of some kind of pick up/ delivery
system that saves them the trip to the library (one of only four or five
buildings on campus) but makes them have to actually hand over the video
when the pick up person comes to their office.

So, we let them check out however many items they want, for as long as
they want and they can give them back or not..as they want. But we are
working on slowly changing this to something more library like and
reasonable to allow broader access to more people.

Ciara Healy

Ciara Healy
Media Services Librarian

Bruce I. Howell Library