Re: [Videolib] 1987 film "Chinese Ghost Story

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 30 May 2006 16:54:08 -0400

Well keep in mind that GATT supercedes US Copyright law and the concept of
Public Domain is virtually unheard of in Europe for instance so the
likelihood of a feature film being without a rights holder in almost non
existent. The thing is you have lots an lots of messy legal issues involving
say multiple parties claiming rights, bankruptcies etc which make getting
PPR rights on many foreign films very, very difficult however it does NOT
mean that the rights holders don't exist.
My concern is someone thinking well Tai Seng is not being responsive or
MK2 did not answer our fax and therefore we exorcised due diligence in
trying to clear this. Again at its BEST the Orphan Film work might get you
some limited access to American films almost entirely non feature works that
have fallen through the cracks but it is absolutely not intended to allow
Public showings of foreign works

I recently e mailed with one of the prime movers behind this on a related
subject and he confirmed that it has little relevance to the vast majority
Of feature films