Re: [Videolib] Film Reference Materials - Suggestions?

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 30 May 2006 16:37:19 -0400

I might also add that David Bordwell's Film Art is hands down the best and
most widely used introductory level textbook in North America. Bordwell is
one of the most respected researchers in the area, so I would get
everything he's published as well as all the Anthony Slide books I could
get my hands on to complete the historical perspective in terms of reference.

Oksana

At 15:38 30/05/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks...
>
>You might also check out http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/doemoff/film/ which
>has a very selective listing of print stuff, as well as online...
>
>Gary
>

>At 12:13 PM 5/30/2006, you wrote:
>>I am again appealing to the wisdom of this list! I have been asked to
>>help update our library reference collection on film resources- both
>>print and online. As a community college, we offer an Associates' degree
>>in Communications, with a specialty in film. Other departments in the
>>college, such as English and History, also require film
>>assignments. However, it is for Communication courses that we are
>>particularly interested in updating our sources. A usual assignment
>>is: introducing a film to the class; providing a credits list;
>>introducing the producer, director, key actors, writer/s, and
>>cinematographer; placing the film in context among other films; exploring
>>homage; and providing analysis. So, our students are looking for
>>concrete data on films as well as analysis and film reviews. Their
>>textbooks include "How to Read a Film" by James Monaco and "The Film
>>Experience" and "A Short Guide to Writing About Film" by Timothy Corrigan.
>>
>>Some of the titles already (or soon to be) in our print film reference
>>collection are:
>>
>>AFI catalogs - all that have been published.
>>McFarland filmographies - to fill in the gaps that AFI does not cover.
>>Slide, Anthony. The New Historical Dictionary of the American Film
>>Industry. (1998)
>>The Motion Picture Guide.
>>History of the American Cinema (Scribner)
>>Quigley, Martin. The First Century of Film. (1995)
>>Shipman, David. The Story of Cinema: A Complete Narrative (1984)
>>International Dictionary of Films and Filmmakers (1996)
>> (we hope to update to e-resource
>> [2000])
>>The Holt Foreign Film Guide. 1988.
>>The New York Times Guide to the Best 1000 Movies Ever Made (2004)
>>The New York Times Film Reviews, 1913-1968.
>>Kael, Pauline. 5001 Nights at the Movies.
>>Halliwell's Who's Who in the Movies (2006)
>>Leonard Maltin's 2006 Movie Guide.
>>Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide (2005)
>>Dictionary of Film Terms: the Aesthetic Companion to Film Art (2006)
>>Konigsberg, Ira. The Complete Film Dictionary (Penguin, 1997)
>>The focal Encyclopedia of Film and Television Techniques (1969)
>>Encyclopedia of Novels into Film (2005)
>>Encyclopedia of Stage Plays into Film (2001)
>>The Animated Movie Guide (2005)
>>The Academy Awards Index (1993) updated on website
>>Franks, Don. Entertainment Awards: Music, Cinema, Theatre, and
>>Broadcasting Guide,
>> 1928-2003.
>>Based on a True Story: Fact and Fantasy in 100 Favorite Movies (2005)
>>
>>We are aware of Gary's excellent web pages on Film Studies. It is
>>included among a number of websites on our library Internet links page at
>>http://www.mc3.edu/sa/lib/links/Llshum.htm#film

> [...]

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-2424 ext.3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3437
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec