RE: [Videolib] 1987 film "Chinese Ghost Story

Tue, 30 May 2006 10:12:28 -0700

All,

I wonder what affect the Orphan Works bill, which is expected to be
passed in some form by Congress and go into effect in 2008, will have on
these sorts of situations. I think the key portion of it will be
determining what constitutes a "good faith, reasonably diligent search"
for the copyright holder. My understanding of what is being proposed is
that if this "reasonably diligent search" is done (however that may be
defined), and a copyright holder is not found, then one can use the work
non-commercially without fear of any damages. If the use is ongoing, and
a copyright holder surfaces, "reasonable compensation" must be paid.

There is more info on Orphan works here.
http://www.copyright.gov/orphan/

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Library A210