Re: [Videolib] State associations with video round tables?

Nell Chenault (njchenau@vcu.edu)
Fri, 26 May 2006 17:41:14 -0400

In the 80's and 90's Virginia Library Association had a group called the
Media Round Table. It was a good group for regional networking. We had
annual programming either at the VLA Annual Conference or co-sponsored
programs with other regional organizations outside of conference. We
sponsored programming on ILL of media, format introduction (DVD),
preservation, etc..

Unfortunately, this round table was obsorbed into the now defunct
Collection Management committee during a reorganizatio of VLA. Many of
the MRT members where upset with this action, as media issues involve
issues other than collection development. VLA lost participation of many
media librarians to ALA, CCUMC and NMM.

Virginia's state sponsored VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia
<http://www.vivalib.org/>) has recently formed an Adhoc Committee on
Media. This group is pioneering our consortial purchase of digital
media collections.

Nell Chenault
Access Librarian and Head, Media & Reserves
VCU Libraries
Richmond, VA.