Re: [Videolib] Q about shrinkwrap licenses or PPR after purchase?

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 22 May 2006 16:41:23 -0400

I don't see how this is enforceable. It is certainly possible to limit a
right by CONTRACT but short of either a signature or e mail etc confirming
that the purchasing party is aware of the limitation it does not seem to be
legal. The seller is asking the buyer to agree to limitation beyond what the
law allows and it would seem that a specific record of agreement would be
Necessary but I eagerly await stories as well

Also did any notice of such limitation appear on sellers web sit,
promotional material etc. That of course could make a difference

On 5/22/06 3:42 PM, "M. Claire Stewart" <claire-stewart@northwestern.edu>
wrote:

> Hi folks, two quick questions:
>
> Has anyone received notification AFTER a video title purchase was
> completed that the purchase did not include certain rights, such as
> right to perform in the classroom, etc.?
>
> Has anyone encountered a shrinkwrap license on a tape or disc? In
> this instance, a shrinkwrap license would be something that
> accompanies the physical media and sets forth usage or other terms;
> it need not actually be under shrinkwrap, but would be something
> perhaps inside the media box or part of the labeling.
>
> Thanks in advance for any stories, replies,
>
> Claire

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International