FW: [Videolib] Reel Patriotism

Blaine Waterman (bwaterman@sfpl.org)
Tue, 16 May 2006 18:46:28 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Blaine Waterman
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:44 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: [Videolib] Reel Patriotism

Thanks for the MANY responses! Here's the lineup we decided on:

San Francisco Public Library Presents
Reel Patriotism

Large Screen Videos in Koret Auditorium

July 2006
Thursdays at Noon

July 7
Born on the 4th of July (1989, 145 min.)
Based on the true story of Ron Kovic, a young man who volunteered for
the Vietnam War, was wounded, and returned paralyzed from the mid-chest
down. He later became a new voice for those disenchanted with the war.
Directed by Oliver Stone and starring Tom Cruise.

July 14
The Good War (2000, 57 min.)
This is the story of WW II-era conscientious objectors -- some 40,000
Americans -- each of whom refused to shoulder weapons because his
conscience would not allow him to kill another human being. Facing
criticism and scorn, these men challenged the limits of democracy.

July 21
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942, 126 min.)
A patriotic musical, recreating of the life and times of George M.
Cohan, with many of his own songs. Starring James Cagney.

July 28
Why We Fight (2005, 98 min.)
An expose of the military industrial complex from the 1950s to the
present.

Blaine Waterman
AV Center Librarian
San Francisco Public Library