FW: [Videolib] Rights Ownership "Modern Times"

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 01 May 2006 14:33:30 -0500

I realize that I sent this directly to Clare Healy but am posting on
Listserv FYI

Warner Brothers owns the Home Video/DVD rights
Prior to that legitimate copies were released by Image and LONG before that
CBS FOX

Kino owns the PPR rights.
Most definitely NOT in the Public Domain and I would say the
Chaplin Estate is one of the most aggressive searching out and
Going after anyone they feel violates their rights on any Chaplin film

Just a reminder the VAST majority of films made from 1923 onward are still
protected by copyright. There are exceptions but not that many so ALWAYS
assume a film made after this is under copyright unless you have some kind
Of published/written assurance it is not ( Also most DVD & VHS VERSIONS of
Films made before that have their own "special contents" copyright so
As a practical matter very little that is on DVD is actually PD)

On 5/1/06 11:07 AM, "Ciara Healy" <cmhealy@waketech.edu> wrote:

> Dear Video Libbers,
>
> Am I correct in my conclusion that Warner Brothers Home Video owns the
> rights to Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times"? Or if I am wrong, that the
> film is at least not in the public domain. I saw that CBS got slapped
> with a big fine for using clips of Modern Times in their obituary of
> Chaplin because they did not get permission.
>
> I am trying to weed out home made copies from reserve and was given
> pause when I thought that perhaps it might be in the public domain. Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Ciara
>
> p.s. When instructors put media items on reserve, do you all manage
> those or do you just send them over to the reserve desk. Also, does
> anyone want to share their system for VHS/DVD/CD reserves? I am
> revamping. It is so hard to find a good vamp these days.
> distributors.

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International