Re: [Videolib] Public Performance Rights Providers

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:39:23 -0500

--B_3229065567_170039409

Well most small companies provide PPR on their own films
New Yorker is probably the biggest one missing from the list as they have
their own
films, Sony classics and a number of films from independent companies.

There would also be Zeitgeist, Milestone, Criterion/JANUS ( handling the
actual Criterion Collection very confusing I know) IDP/Goldwyn. I am not
completely clear
If Magnolia, IFC, Palm etc due their own or license to Swank or New Yorker

Basically Swank & Criterion will handle 95% of Hollywood studio films and a
small number of independent & foreign films
As previously noted it can be VERY difficult to track PPR rights on foreign
films in particular.
For the most part companies which purchase home video/dvd rights for foreig=
films ( and independent )
Do NOT acquire PPR rights. Kino, New Yorker , Criterion are the exception
but even we don=B9t have PPR on everything
We acquire for DVD release only. For example NONE of the wonderful British
Classics released by Anchor Bay have
PPR and you will have to go to the legal rep in LA or UK to obtain them.
Chaplin films are out on the WB label but
Swank has NO PPR for them. I could go on and on. I can not emphasize too
strongly though how complicated it can
Be to obtain PPR on non Hollywood films. Just because a title is released o=
VHS or DVD does NOT mean you will
EVER be able to obtain PPR rights so plan accordingly.

On 4/28/06 8:53 AM, "Threatt, Monique L" <mthreatt@indiana.edu> wrote:

> Hello,=20
> To my knowledge, the following companies are the major PPR providers for
> feature films in the US (Kino also provides ppr for Canada). If you are =
aware
> of other companies, please post to the list. Thanks, much. -- Monique
>=20
> Public Performance Rights Providers:
>=20
> Criterion, USA ( http://www.criterionpicusa.com
> <http://www.criterionpicusa.com> ) -- is a non-theatrical distributor of
> feature films licensed for public performance in the United States.
>=20
> Facets, Multi-media <http://www.facets.org/asticat> -- Facets Multi-Medi=
a,
> located in Chicago, Illinois and founded in 1975, is a non-profit media a=
rts
> organization which provides an extraordinary range of film and video prog=
rams.
> Facets will provide PPR for films on the Facets label (as opposed to, say=
,
> films on the Criterion label.) Facets distributes both feature and docume=
ntary
> films.
>=20
> Kino, International <http://www.kino.com/> -- Kino has been distributing
> specialized (art-house and foreign-language titles) films since 1977. The=
se
> films are for public exhibition in various formats from 35mm & 16mm film
> prints to VHS and DVD. Kino only distributes in the US and Canada. Ask ab=
out
> PPR for those films distributed by Kino.
>=20
> SWANK Motion Picture, Inc. <http://www.swank.com/> -- is the major
> non-theatrical movie distributor, online CE/CME education distributor and
> public performance licensing agent in venues where feature movies are sho=
wn
> publicly.
>=20
> Have a great weekend.
>=20
>=20
> *************************
> Monique Threatt=20
> Librarian for Media, and Communication & Culture
> Herman B Wells Library, W121
> Indiana University
> Bloomington, IN 47405
> T: (812) 855-9857
> F: (812) 855-1649
> E: mthreatt@indiana.edu
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3229065567_170039409

Re: [Videolib] Public Performance Rights Providers Well = most small companies provide PPR on their own films
New Yorker is probably the biggest one missing from the list as they have t= heir own
films, Sony classics and a number of  films from independent companies= .

There would also be Zeitgeist, Milestone, Criterion/JANUS ( handling the ac= tual Criterion Collection very confusing I know) IDP/Goldwyn. I am not compl= etely clear
If Magnolia, IFC, Palm etc due their own or license to Swank or New Yorker<= BR>
Basically Swank & Criterion will handle 95% of Hollywood studio films a= nd a small number of independent & foreign films
As previously noted it can be VERY difficult to track PPR rights on foreign= films in particular.
For the most part companies which purchase home video/dvd rights for foreig= n films ( and independent )
Do NOT  acquire PPR rights. Kino, New Yorker , Criterion are the excep= tion but even we don’t have PPR on everything
We acquire for DVD release only. For example  NONE of the wonderful Br= itish Classics released by Anchor Bay have
PPR and you will have to go to the legal rep in LA or UK to obtain them. Ch= aplin films are out on the WB label but
Swank has NO PPR for them. I could go on and on. I can not emphasize too st= rongly though how complicated it can
Be to obtain PPR on non Hollywood films. Just because a title is released o= n VHS or DVD does NOT mean you will

Criterion, USA ( = http://www.criterionpicusa.com <http://www.criterionpicusa.com> <= FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">) -- is a non-theatrical distributor of feature = films licensed for public performance in the United States.