Re: [Videolib] 8mm/16mm/35mm films and beta/umatic videos collections

deg farrelly (deg.farrelly@asu.edu)
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:34:10 -0700

I would wager that the content of MOST of these materials is outdated and of
little use.

So my first approach would be to evaluate the titles to see if they are
worth retaining, and/or to determine if there is more up-to-date content
available.

IF you determine that the content is worth keeping, but the format is
obsolete, or the copy is damaged/in poor condition, then I would look for a
new copy. IF a new copy is not available, after a reasonable search and for
a reasonable price, you do not need to seek permission to make a transfer.

U.S. Copyright law specifically assigns the right to libraries to make such
copies. See: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108

(BTW... I used to keep in the collection "Ohio Leads" - a 16mm on Ohio using
computers for traffic management - solely for training student assistants
how to thread a 16mm projector.)

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University at the West Campus

> From: Jeanne Little <jeanne.little@uni.edu>

> Subject: [Videolib] 8mm/16mm/35mm films and beta/umatic videos collections >

<snip>

> Have you re-mastered any of the older films? If so, what process did you > use? (i.e., internal/on-campus, outside assistance, etc.) How did you > obtain permission to re-master this material?

<snip>