RE: [Videolib] Rogue Collections

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:09:59 -0500

Hi Ciara,
I started to reply the other day, but got distracted.

In my opinion, there are two choices:
1) send out the library SWAT team and make a concerted effort to
retrieve perpetual loans, or
2) write the videos off & get them out of the catalog.
Yes, both options require strong backing from your director.

I'm sure the departments all argue "no one else uses title X." Of
course they don't if it's being hoarded by someone else. One of my pet
peeves. I'm always amazed by the variety of videos used by a variety
of faculty and students. Unless it's super-specific (graduate-level
underwater basketweaving), hoarding just ends up requiring a duplication
of resources.

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato
(507) 389-5945

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Ciara Healy
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:57 PM
To: Videolib
Subject: [Videolib] Rogue Collections

Dear Video Libbers,

I have a quick question about what I am calling rogue or remote
collections. By remote collection I mean those media items held in
departments that are still in the catalog (purchased by the library) but
are essentially owned by individuals or departments. Let's say... one
instructor that has 500 videos checked out in perpetuity, for instance.

I have tried to do a bit of a lit search and have found an older
article that explains the exact opposite problem - the desire to
integrate departmental holdings into the OPAC vs. my desire to integrate
library holdings back into the library vs. cut them loose entirely. I am
looking for articles on library services being replicated (replaced?)
within departments. Does anyone know of some articles that deal with
this circumstance?

The interesting questions revolve around catalogue integrity, getting
the library its mojo back and how this skews collection development for
the next 3 to 5 (replace all of those titles first? Just the classics?
Wrest the duplicates back into the collection?)

I would be happy to know what is out there or if anyone has experience
with this.

Ciara