RE: [Videolib] Ambassador Books

Chris McNevins (Chris.McNevins@uconn.edu)
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:04:57 -0400

A couple of years back we had a deal with Ambassador for free shipping
in return for our business. However, their turn around time (2-4 weeks)
couldn't accommodate our demand (our media collections are almost
entirely driven by faculty reserve requests) so I often ended up
ordering direct anyway. In the end we lost the free shipping. I can
echo what Michael said: for difficult titles I had to supply the
ordering information, otherwise they would report as unavailable. About
the only advantage was that in most cases Ambassador could fulfill
credit-card orders for us.

Based on my experience, I think Ambassador might work well for a public
library, but I wouldn't recommend them for an academic institution. I
would highly recommend Baker & Taylor Entertainment for feature films.
My predecessor negotiated free shipping with them years ago (+ discount)
Since one of B&T's distribution points is in NJ I'll often receive my
order the next day (which never ceases to amaze me) They also have a
distribution point in Reno, NV (the furthest west)

I've also had luck with DVA out of FL and Midwest Tapes in OH. All will
furnish MARC records for a fee. I know DVA will scout for OP titles if
requested--not sure of the others. Both websites are easy to use (B&T's
not so much--best to order by phone)

Here are the websites to all three:

Baker & Taylor: http://www.btol.com/
Distribution Video & Audio: http://www.dva.com/