RE: [Videolib] ISBNs: the saga continues

Adrian Wood (adrianjwood@aol.com)
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:21:34 +0100

As a European I would be very hope to do waht I can to promote something
that would be of help.

Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Susan Weber
Sent: 24 April 2006 19:26
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] ISBNs: the saga continues

Adrian -
I couldn't agree with you more. That's why I sent the message a while back
about the ISAN - a designation set up for Audio-Visual. However, most
of the producers have not heard about it and certainly are not using it.
It would take a lobby effort to encourage its use.
At this time, the ISAN is in the hands of a European group.
http://www.isbn-international.org/en/userman/chapter12.html#usm12_5
Here's what that says:

The International Standard Audiovisual Number (ISAN) (ISO 15706) is
designed to fill a gap in the network of unique identifiers, and it will
link up with the ISRC. ISAN makes it possible for all rights holders
(authors, interpreters, producers) to identify the audiovisual work. It
does not identify rights holders and their respective shares. ISAN is
applied to all audiovisual works. The term audiovisual work means any
work, consisting of an animated series of images, whether or not it is
accompanied by sound. ISAN is not intended to be applied to fixed images
or software packages.
ISAN is now a Final Draft International Standard (FDIS 15706). An ISAN
for versions is on preparation. It is promoted by AGICOA and FIAPF.

The ISAN consists of an ISAN prefix, followed by 16 digits, the last one
of which is a check digit.

Maybe we could start a movement to request and use this number.

Susan

--

Susan Weber, Media Librarian

Langara College, Advanced Education Media

Acquisitions Centre_

100 West 49th Avenue, Vancouver, B.C. V5Y 2Z6

Tel. 604-323-5533 email: sweber@langara.bc.ca

Fast Forward Media Showcase, May 2-3, 2006

http://www.langara.bc.ca/ffwd

http://www.langara.bc.ca/aemac