RE: [Videolib] ISBNs: the saga continues

Adrian Wood (adrianjwood@aol.com)
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:03:45 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C66708.A564E510

Re: [Videolib] ISBNs: the saga continuesHaving followed this over the past
few weeks wouldn't it make sense to establish a video equivalent to the ISBN
which really was intended for books and not video or DVD?

It might be a means to end Bowker's apparent exploitation of their position.

Adrian
-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: 23 April 2006 01:03
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] ISBNs: the saga continues

Interesting. Well if I do ever convince our video dept guys to go for it I
will certainly wait until next year
When the new numbers go in effect

On 4/22/06 2:17 PM, "Herownword@aol.com" <Herownword@aol.com> wrote:

Thought some of you might be interested in an update on our adventures
in ISBN-land. We went ahead and purchased a large batch of ISBNs, assuming
that of course they would be in the new 13-digit format. But no such luck.
They are all 10-digit format and we must either convert them ourselves, one
by one, which is fairly straightforward but requires time and patience, or
pay Bowker to do so. We naturally called Bowker at once and said we'd much
prefer to be issued the 13-digit numbers in the first place (since they go
into effect January 2007), but were informed that they can't give them out
until it's actually January 2007. Unless, of course, we pay Bowker extra or
do the handwork ourselves. Anyway, we're glad to know that ISBNs are useful
to librarians and media staff, because they're certainly inconvenient to
come by. I'm really hopeful this is the end of our ISBN learning curve, but
I'm a little pessimistic, based on recent experiences...... Jocelyn Riley,
HerOwnWords.com and NontraditionalCareers.com

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C66708.A564E510

Re: [Videolib] ISBNs:  the saga continues

Having=20 followed this over the past few weeks wouldn't it make sense to establish a=20 video equivalent to the ISBN which really was intended for books and not vid= eo=20 or DVD?

It=20 might be a means to end Bowker's apparent exploitation of their=20 position.

Adrian