Re: [Videolib] Pre-1954 Public Domain?

MileFilms@aol.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:51:30 EDT

--part1_362.303c362.31780ae2_boundary

In a message dated 4/19/06 5:19:54 PM, deg.farrelly@asu.edu writes:

>=20
> The article states that with the extension of copyright from 50 to 70 year=
s,=20
> titles on which copyright expired before December 31, 1953 fell into publi=
c=20
> domain.
>=20

Well, I believe that's if they're Japanese made films. In most of the world,=
=20
a film remains in copyright if it is still in copyright in the country of=20
origin. So I doubt that Casablanca would be PD in Japan, but I might be wron=
g. It=20
would DEFINITELY be illegal here.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video / Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035