Re: [Videolib] Pre-1954 Public Domain?

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:33:07 -0500

--B_3228312788_124856641

I don=B9t know a thing about Japanese copyright but one thing in the article
makes NO sense
It says they ask the Library of Congress to =B3verify=B2 what films made before
1953 are in the Public Domain
But the nearly all US films including the ones mentioned in the article (
except CHARADE which was messed up for renewal)
Are under copyright in the US and LOC never issues =B3certificates=B2 that a
film is in the Public Domain though they will
For a fee send you a confirming letter but since these films ARE under
copyright in the US I don=B9t get it.

The sad thing is as you can see all you really get it is multiple versions
copies of the same popular films
no indication that it makes rare films available

Well won=B9t happen here in any event

On 4/19/06 3:25 PM, "deg farrelly" <deg.farrelly@asu.edu> wrote:

> This item from the Digital-Copyright listserv has me scratching my head.
>=20
> Copyright revision helps one-coin DVDs become hit with movie collectors
> by Kanako Takhara; Japan Times; 4/17/2006
>=20
> "It happens all the time: You run down to the video store to rent your
> favorite movie classic, only to find someone else has beaten you to it.
> But what if you could buy your very own DVD of the film for the same
> price as renting it?"
> http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nb20060415a5.html
>=20
>=20
> The article states that with the extension of copyright from 50 to 70 yea=
rs,
> titles on which copyright expired before December 31, 1953 fell into publ=
ic
> domain.
>=20
> I have not heard this argument before.... At least not that I can recall.=
>=20
> Comments?
>=20
>=20
> --
> deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
> Arizona State University at the West Campus
> PO Box 37100=20
> Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
> Phone: 602.543.8522
> Email: deg.farrelly@asu.edu
> -=20
> deg
>=20
>=20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3228312788_124856641

Re: [Videolib] Pre-1954 Public Domain? I don= ’t know a thing about Japanese copyright but one thing in the article = makes NO sense
It says they ask the Library of Congress to “verify” what films= made before 1953 are in the Public Domain
But the nearly all US films including the ones mentioned in the article ( e= xcept CHARADE which was messed up for renewal)
Are under copyright  in the US and LOC never issues “certificate= s” that a film is in the Public Domain though they will
For a fee send you a confirming letter but since these films ARE under copy= right in the US I don’t get it.

The sad thing is as you can see all you really get it is multiple versions = copies of the same popular films
no indication that it makes rare films  available

Well won’t happen here in any event

[...]

Phoenix, Arizona  85069-7100
Phone:  602.543.8522
Email:  deg.farrelly@asu.edu