Re: [Videolib] Streaming terms

Rick Faaberg (rfaaberg@comcast.net)
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 03:41:40 -0700

On 4/16/06 3:30 AM "Rick Faaberg" <rfaaberg@comcast.net> sent this out:

> Pps. Even the Beatles and Apple Corp just changed their minds on this! They're
> going digital!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's some info regarding this:

"Beatles Edge Closer to Digital, Developments Emerge
The Beatles have been digital holdouts from the beginning, but new
developments suggest a possible thawing ahead. In a discussion with Beatles
business entity Apple Corps on Wednesday, Digital Music News learned that
some digitization efforts are now underway. A representative at the company
confirmed reports that Apple Corps boss and former Beatles tour manager Neil
Aspinall revealed catalog re-mastering and digital sales plans during recent
court proceedings. The comments surfaced during arguments in the UK High
Court, where the company is battling over music-related branding and logo
rights with similarly-named Apple Computer. Apple Corps is owned by
surviving Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, along with Yoko Ono and
the estate of George Harrison.

Aspinall told the London court that the Beatles back catalog is being
digitally re-mastered, and will be made available in both physical and
downloadable formats. "I think it would be wrong to offer downloads of the
old masters when I am making new masters," he said. "It would be better to
wait and try to do them both simultaneously so that you then get the
publicity of the new masters and the downloading, rather than just doing it
ad hoc." The Apple Corps spokeswoman declined to discuss any schedule for
the plans, which require the re-mastering of an enormous body of work.
Leaving the topic somewhat vague, the representative simply described the
effort as "one of many initiatives we are planning". But for those waiting
for the 800lb. Beatles gorilla to play ball online, the latest developments
are encouraging."

<http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/#041306beatles>

So anyway, I feel that last-century media companies are going to go bust
with their insane inability to get with digital and streaming licensing.

For example, anybody in their teens and twenties right now just won't care.
So what's the future for the digital hold-outs, hmm?

Best,

Rick Faaberg