RE: [Videolib] Rogue Collections

Mark Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 08:17:24 -0400

Hi Ciara!

One instructor with 500 of your titles? Send him or his department a
bill for $150,000 (500 items at $300 each). That'll get his attention,
and remind him that YOU are the library, not him or his department. They
are no longer "library" materials if they are not available to all your
patrons. Fair is fair. It would be incredulous to me, that the
administration at your organization would not support you in this
regard. Unless there is some other agreement, it looks like the library
is financing that particular instructor's department. What if others
demand the same? I'd suggest someone put their foot down.

I once worked in collections...and I'm not talkin
library...hahahahaha...

Long weekend comin up...Happy Easter to all!

Mark

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Ciara Healy
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:57 PM
To: Videolib
Subject: [Videolib] Rogue Collections

Dear Video Libbers,

I have a quick question about what I am calling rogue or remote
collections. By remote collection I mean those media items held in
departments that are still in the catalog (purchased by the library) but
are essentially owned by individuals or departments. Let's say... one
instructor that has 500 videos checked out in perpetuity, for instance.

I have tried to do a bit of a lit search and have found an older article
that explains the exact opposite problem - the desire to integrate
departmental holdings into the OPAC vs. my desire to integrate library
holdings back into the library vs. cut them loose entirely. I am looking
for articles on library services being replicated (replaced?) within
departments. Does anyone know of some articles that deal with this
circumstance?

The interesting questions revolve around catalogue integrity, getting
the library its mojo back and how this skews collection development for
the next 3 to 5 (replace all of those titles first? Just the classics?
Wrest the duplicates back into the collection?)

I would be happy to know what is out there or if anyone has experience
with this.

Ciara