Re: [Videolib] Silent film "Black Stork"

MileFilms@aol.com
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 17:32:22 EDT

--part1_260.9f9eb7f.31659166_boundary

In a message dated 4/5/06 3:15:29 PM, mhuntley@hamilton.edu writes:

> I've exhausted my usual resources, so I hope one of you can tell me
> something about this film. A professor has read about the 1915/1917 silent
> film, "Black Stork," and is asking me if it's available somewhere. It was
> directed by Leopold & Theodore Wharton. Even if all you can tell me is tha=
> you know it's NOT available, I'd be very grateful.
>=20
>=20

Dear Marilyn,

Although I'm one of the very few people in our NJ town who did not go to=20
Cornell, I can still help a little. Since the Wharton company was in Ithaca,=
NY=20
you should check with the historical society there. They have done a fair am=
ount=20
research into the Wharton's and what films of theirs exist. That's your best=
=20
bet unless the LOC has it.

The DeWitt Historical Society of Tompkins County Library & Archive, 401 E.=20
State St., Ithaca, NY 14850; telephone (607)273-8284; fax (607)273-6107

Additionally, Karen Stetler, the Los Angeles producer for Criterion's DVDs=20
did her NYU masters thesis on the Wharton company and might know the answer,=
but=20
I suspect it's been too long since she did the research to remember what=20
films existed and where. I have a copy of the thesis, but it would take me a=
long=20
time to get my hands on it -- and I suspect the historical society has a cop=
y=20
since they helped a lot on this. If the professor wants to get in touch with=
=20
Karen, I can arrange it.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video / Milliarium Zero
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035