RE: [Videolib] RE: Media Bank Kiosks?

Mark Ellis (mark.ellis@yourlibrary.ca)
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:33:46 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C65816.4F1CF360

We've been running a Mediabank machine since September and are quite happy
with it--happier than we'd be with the alternatives anyway.

Our machine is installed within the library and is not used after hours.
Our primary objectives were media security and staff labor savings. The
price of the system is justifiable on either one of those criteria as it
would take over two FTEs to perform the same work with closed stacks over
our 72.5 hour weeks and we lost $40K in DVDs to theft in a single year. In
any case, additional staff are not an option open to us.

We circulated 10,235 DVDs in March and have seen transaction (ins + outs)
rates as high as 90/hr.

There were no problems getting the machine to work with our library cards or
VTLS Virtua ILS. It uses a SIP interface, so appears to be just another
self-check device. We opted to use its native web catalog for remote
browsing and reservations rather than our ILS' catalog though. Having the
system recognize holds place on the ILS' catalogue is more complicated
because SIP provides no way of pushing out holds information to the machine.
In order to accomplish this, ILS specific interfaces would be required.

On the policy side, we have a thee day loan period and expect patrons to
return DVDs directly to the machine. While patrons are happy that current
DVDs are available, they grouse about having to stand in line particularly
for returns.

Currently, having staff return DVDs is problematic because they have to be
fed to the machine one at a time. We've ordered an asynchronous batch
staff issue, but material will not become available again unit the machine
has had a chance reload discs from the hopper.

Libraries with longer loan periods and/or less popular material would likely
not see the lines we're seeing though.

In our experience the bottleneck is the system's transaction rate, so we're
pursing improvements such as faster printing, overlapping
printing/retreiving, and denser storage to minimize robot travel times, etc.

Our machine can house about 1,000 DVDs but manages a growing collection of
about 1,500. It's seldom more than half full.

HTH,

Mark Ellis
Manager, Reference and Information Services
Richmond Public Library (BC)
604-231-6410
www.yourlibrary.ca

_____