Re: [Videolib] classroom/ educational use charges

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:50:38 -0800

This is, indeed, one of my pet bugaboos

I don't so much care about two-tiered pricing (higher for educational
institutions than home market). OK...we all get the idea about dollars and
cents, and those of us in the business for a long enough time have come to
realize that it's often worth the price to keep the content universe healthy
and diverse (i.e. to keep the indies afloat).

The practice that really pisses me off is foisting off a market-based,
commercial decision as something it ain't--a copyright requirment. I go
absolutely wild when certain vendors contend that the higher cost has to do
with performance rights (or other copyright voodoo) and that performance rights
are an a priori necessity in eductional institutions. If all I'm doing is
checking stuff out for on-site use in the media center or for face-to-face
teaching in the service of regular curricula, I simply don't need or require
performance rights. If I can ferret out a cheaper home video version, I damn
well will.

Gary