Re: [Videolib] classroom/ educational use charges

Marlene Graham (mgraham@york.cuny.edu)
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:35:16 -0500

Adding my 2 cents to the discussion I will say from my experience working
for small educational distributors it is really a dollars and cents
decision. We would get very few home video requests each year and take
those on a case by case basis. For a lot of the titles we only had the
educational distribution rights. Most titles don't get the volume of
purchases that commercial home video titles do, like something from New
Line or Miramax. Selling 10 copies of a title is a big year. These
companies exist to serve the educational users. They would go out of
business if they were to charge much less than they do. Having done sales
analysis for three of these companies in the past I know this is just the
reality.

Marlene Graham (aka Afua Kafi-Akua)
Media Resources Manager
York College
The City University of New York
Center for Academic Computing and Education Technology
Academic Core Building, 4G02A
94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd.
Jamaica, NY 11451
Phone: 718-262-2753