[Videolib] Re: [Vidalia] classroom/ educational use charges

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:29:47 -0500

--B_3226498190_16237359

This comes up a LOT. Basically legally there is NO distinction between hom=
or classroom use ANY legal tape
can be used in a class. Distributors themselves and choose to price titles
differently based on use but there would be
Nothing illegal or improper if you were able to obtain a lower cost =B3home
use=B2 and use it in a class
I think for the most part these titles have little or no home market though
so it is unlikely they are available from
Any other source. Frankly documentaries on a women's collaborative basic
weaving association in Bolivia ( my
McGuffin description of these things) is likely to be priced high and only
sold to institutions as it would not appeal to the
home market. I think the thing is to just make sure that it is a single
source item

On 3/29/06 3:53 PM, "Wies, Loraine M." <wiesl@union.edu> wrote:

> Greetings!
> =20
> On a number of the videos we are purchasing for the College library, I am
> noticing a new category of purchase- =B3Educational=B9 or =B3classroom=B2 use- us=
ually
> with a much higher cost than =B3home use.=B2 Our understanding is that under=
Fair
> Use, face-to-face classroom use is covered under =B3home use.=B2 Are we wro=
ng? I
> would very much appreciate any light anyone could shed.
> =20
> Thanks!
> =20
> Loraine M. Wies
> Acquisitions/Periodicals Librarian
> Schaffer Library
> Union College
> Schenectady, NY 12308
> wiesl@union.edu
> tel # 518-388-6689
> =20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3226498190_16237359

Re: [Vidalia] classroom/ educational use charges This = comes up  a LOT. Basically legally there is NO distinction between home= or classroom use ANY legal tape
can be used in a class. Distributors themselves and choose to price titles = differently based on use but there would be
Nothing illegal  or improper if you were able to obtain a lower cost &= #8220;home use” and use it in a class
I think for the most part these titles have little or no home market though= so it is unlikely they are available from
Any other source. Frankly  documentaries on a women's collaborative ba= sic weaving association in Bolivia ( my
McGuffin description of these things) is likely to be priced high and only = sold to institutions as it would not appeal to the
home market. I think the thing is to just make sure that it is a single sou= rce item

On 3/29/06 3:53 PM, "Wies, Loraine M." <wiesl@union.edu> wr= ote:

Greetings!

On a number of the videos we are purchasing for the College library, I am n= oticing a new category of purchase- “Educational’ or “clas= sroom” use- usually with a much higher cost than “home use.̶= 1;  Our understanding is that under Fair Use, face-to-face classroom us= e is covered under “home use.”   Are we wrong? I would= very much appreciate any light anyone could shed.

Thanks!