Re: [Videolib] status of EYES ON THE PRIZE?

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:33:54 -0500

This is what I got from my best friend in HS in January and she works for
Blackside which produced it. Sounds like it will still be a while till it
comes out on dvd , my best GUESS would be sometime next year.

I imagine it is big project to clear all the clips & music and remaster it

http://www.pbs.org/aboutpbs/news/20060114_eyesontheprize.html

EYES ON THE PRIZE, PRODUCED BY BLACKSIDE, RETURNS TO PBS ON AMERICAN
EXPERIENCE

First airing of acclaimed civil rights documentary series since 1993

PBS Press Tour, Pasadena, CA, January 14, 2006 PBS, AMERICAN EXPERIENCE,
and Blackside today announced the return of the award-winning "Eyes on the
Prize," a landmark series documenting the history of the civil rights
movement. Originally broadcast on PBS in 1987, "Eyes on the Prize" will air
on AMERICAN EXPERIENCE in fall 2006 as part of the series' 19th season.
Three, two-hour programs will be presented this fall, with an additional
eight hours made available at a later date.

"AMERICAN EXPERIENCE is committed to telling challenging stories about
the diverse communities that make up this nation," said Mark Samels,
executive producer. "We are honored to present this groundbreaking work."

Through contemporary interviews and historical footage "Eyes on the
Prize" traces the civil rights movement from the Montgomery bus boycott in
1954 to the Voting Rights Act in 1965; from early acts of individual
courage through the flowering of a mass movement and its eventual split
into factions. Julian Bond narrates.

"Eyes on the Prize" tells human stories of the movement for social change
in the words of both famous and less-known participants. Since the
documentary was completed, a number of key figures who appear in the films
(including George Wallace, Ralph Abernathy, and Kwame Ture, also known as
Stokely Carmichael) have died, making this record of their testimony all
the more valuable.

"Every American, every generation should have the chance to see this epic
series," said John F. Wilson, Sr. Vice President, PBS. "It's a great
victory for all of us to have it return to PBS this fall."

The driving force behind "Eyes on the Prize" was Henry Hampton. A
participant in many civil rights landmark events including the 1965 march
from Selma to Montgomery Hampton set out to share his vision of what he
called "the remarkable human drama that was the civil rights movement"
through the "Eyes on the Prize" documentary and a book of the same title by
Juan Williams.

After Hampton's death in 1998, his sisters, Judi Hampton and Veva
Zimmerman, assumed control of Blackside, Inc., his production company. "So
many people have contributed to the making of 'Eyes on the Prize' and so
many lives have been impacted by its message," said Judi Hampton. "We are
very grateful to The Ford Foundation and The Gilder Foundation whose
generosity made it possible to bring this important series back to public
television."

When "Eyes on the Prize" premiered in 1987, The New York Times called it
"the most ambitious documentary undertaken by black filmmakers, and one of
the largest television series ever undertaken by a black-owned company."
The series went on to win six Emmys and numerous other awards.

Television's most-watched history series, AMERICAN EXPERIENCE is the
leading producer of historical documentaries, related Web sites, and DVDs.
Since its 1988 debut, the series has presented engaging , eye-opening
stories of ordinary people and their ordinary lives, and has been
recognized with every industry award: Emmys, Peabody Awards,
duPont-Columbia Awards, even Oscar nominations. AMERICAN EXPERIENCE is
produced at WGBH Boston. Major funding is provided by the Alfred P. Sloan
Foundation. National corporate funding is provided by Liberty Mutual and
the Scotts Company. Additional funding is provided by the Corporation for
Public Broadcasting and public television viewers.

On 3/28/06 3:54 PM, "Mcnevins, Christine" <chris.mcnevins@uconn.edu> wrote:

> Hi, y'all...
>
> Does anyone know the status of EYES ON THE PRIZE. Back in August it was
> reported that there was enough financial support to re-release it.
>
> See:
>
> http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,68664,00.html
> <http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,68664,00.html> ?
>
> Tanks,