Re: [Videolib] Denver Public and eFlicks / OverDrive

Vicki Nesting (
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:33:40 -0600

I haven't used them, but I do write about OverDrive and their Digital
Library Reserve (DLR) program fairly often in my "New Product News"
column for Public Libraries. A list of their library customers is
available at:
However, as the press release notes, Denver Public Library is the first
to allow patrons to download movies and television programs. Other
libraries have been offering downloabable audiobooks and music for a few
years now through OverDrive/DLR.

Vicki Nesting
Regional Branch Librarian
St. Charles Parish Library
Destrehan, Louisiana

Meghann Matwichuk wrote:

> Hello All,
> Thought I'd post this since we've been discussing streaming video
> recently:
> (from IMDB)
> Denver Library Allows Movie Downloads
> The Denver Public Library on Tuesday became the first library to allow
> patrons to download movies and television programs over the Internet
> to their PCs or portable media players, Home Media Retailing magazine
> reported. The initial films made available by the library online are
> limited to a few classic films, including Federico Fellini
> <>'s 8 1/2
> <>, Vittorio De Sica
> <>'s The Bicycle Thief
> <>, and D.W. Griffith
> <>'s Birth of a Nation
> <>. The software is timed to void
> the movies after the lending period is over. The Denver library's
> Michelle Jeske said, "Downloadable video gives our patrons 24/7 online
> access to exceptional films and allows [us] to have this type of
> format without the space, handling, and damage issued normally
> associated with DVDs and tapes."
> >From Denver Public's website:
> Info from OverDrive:
> Has anyone on this list had experience with OverDrive and their services?
> Best,
> Meghann R. Matwichuk
> Assistant Librarian
> Instructional Media Department