RE: [Videolib] Media Center services

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:35:03 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01C64DCE.91D11BC0

Hi, I'm Jim Scholtz and I'm the director of a public librayr in South
Dakota, although I've been a library director in a couple of college
libraries/media centers as well. I also write a good deal (books and
journal articles) about video in libraries. That said, I see your need for
information gathered from other college/university libraries as a
comparison. But "thinking outside-of-the-box" I ask "why do you need to
compare?" Have you assessed the current needs of your clientele - students,
faculty and staff? What kind of services do they want and need from a media
center? What services can you provide within the confines of your budget
and facility/equipment orientation? Those facts will serve to designate
what services you provide better than saying that X college doesn't provide
this so we're not going to - rationale. Most colleges provide individual
viewings - on demand or booked (that means that you have to provide a
booking system - does your existing circulation system have a media booking
module?); they provide duplication services (DVD/CD duplication, old-type
transparencies; they will have to provide media-on-demand/videostreaming and
downloading of music/audio in the near future; rental loan of video
equipment from digital cameras, to video projectors, laptops, portable audio
sound systems, reserve shelf (sometimes this function is integrated with the
main library). Will you be charging for any of these services on a per
incident basis for cost recovery or for an entreprenurial activity? For
example, at our library we have purchased a couple of DVD/CD cleaning/repair
machines and charge for repairing discs - we even have a contract with a
couple of video rental stores to repair all of their games/DVDs and CDs (we
make about $500-600 per month!) Would you want to provide a service like
this for students/faculty/your community? As a library director, I
frequently did copyright searches for faculty/staff dong research, creating
media presentations for classes when information wouldn't be covered by fair
use/educational exemption - do you/your staff have a need or want to provide
ethis type of service? Media centers have traditionaly offered students the
ability to make various presentations (old school transparencies, dittos,
etc.). Do you or your computer dept. have equipment/staff/knowledge to
allow students to make multi-media presentations using Media Player, Power
DVD Player, Powerpoint, Digital movie making software, software allowing
sound input (voice or audio signal) for a track overlaid onto a Powerpoint
presentation? Is there a need for this type of activity in the curriculum?
Also, do you have equipment to trasfer video to DVD/CD? Are you the
copyright clearinghouse for your school? Just thoughts. Jim Scholtz.