RE: [Videolib] ISBN #s

James Scholtz (jimscholtz@sdln.net)
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:52:17 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_004D_01C64DD0.FA0B03C0

Hi Jocelyn, The prefix for the ISBN number just indicates the publisher
(now ISBN's have grown so big that Bowker has expanded to a 13 digit ISBN.
Bowker is the only source from whom to obtain ISBN's - they have sold 'lots'
of ISBNs to other publishers and those publishers assign a number within
that lot to items that they are publishing (books, videos, games, etc.).
UPC codes are just computer generated numbers on a US pre-determined format
that, when scanned, provide inventory information - price, author/title,
etc. so that an electronic cash register system can perform a transaction
(like a barcode for a library). Most publishers (even vanity presses) have
'a lot' of ISBN's from Bowker and can also manufacture UPC codes for items
that they publish. For example, I just printed 1800 copies of a
self-published book from a publisher in Sioux Falls, SD named Pine Hill
Press. Pine Hill Press printed the cover and bound the books - but I
duplicated the pages elsewhere and they had no part in the actual
editing/writing of the book/nor did they apply for the copyright. They sold
me an ISBN ($125 ISBN and UPC) and printed the cover with both the ISBN and
a unique UPC so that it would be easier to sell it to bookstores. The ISBN
indicates the item is a Pine Hill Press item (prefix), but it is not for
sale through them. An ISBN number does not guarentee OCLC cataloging
information or even order information from vendors (Baker & Taylor doesn't
even know that this book exists, even though it has an ISBN). However, a
book store wouldn't think of selling an item without a UPC code. Both
numbers serve to identify the item from others in terms of database
searching but traditionally, many videos have NOT had ISBNs. Most
educational distributors haven't had UPC codes either, but if you plan to
sell your video locally/to distrubutors, you need to have a UPC. So if you
are the producer/distributor of a video/videos and want an ISBN number -
find a local vanity press - see if they will sell you some numbers - they
probably will, especially if you have them do the cover art, etc. I hope
this information helps. Jim S.