RE: [Videolib] ISBN #s

Speirs, Sr Gilmary (speirs@es.marywood.edu)
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:08:44 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C64DEC.1745798C

"I care whether or not titles have ISBN's. I use them to search Ingram and
B&T. They're more reliable than Title searching. With an ISBN I know that
I'm getting the title I'm after, especially when there are re-makes of the
same film. It cuts down on confusion."

Sr. Gilmary Speirs, IHM
Collection Management Librarian for Non-Print
Marywood University Library
2300 Adams Ave.
Scranton, PA 18509
speirs@marywood.edu
(570)348-6266
FAX: 570-961-4769

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of
Herownword@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:06 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] ISBN #s

Does anyone on this listserv know of an alternative way to obtain ISBN #s
than by paying Bowker's fees? Years ago ISBN prefixes and numbers were free
and I obtained a prefix and what I thought was a lifetime supply of numbers
in 1989. But as it turns out, I'm nearing the end of the numbers. Bowker's
staff has informed me that I will not be able to keep my original ISBN
prefix (for any amount of money) and that if I want to obtain a prefix that
I can use consistently, I will have to purchase a huge quantity, pay a large
fee, and be liable for a continuing yearly fee. I have two questions for
the listserv: 1. Does anyone else issue ISBN #s or a suitable equivalent?
2. Do librarians and other media professionals care whether a DVD, VHS, or
book has an ISBN # or not?

Many thanks.

Jocelyn Riley
HerOwnWords.com