RE: [Videolib] ISBN #s

Mark Kopp (iu8film@iu08.org)
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:35:30 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C64DDF.65B2B096

Even though it takes a few extra clicks, you can find ISBN numbers thru
this website without "buying" subscriptions to the "regular sources".
=20
http://isbn.nu/
=20
Just enter the search info, then click on your result. The ISBN number
appears in the search box, toward the top.
=20
Mark

________________________________

From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
Herownword@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:06 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] ISBN #s

Does anyone on this listserv know of an alternative way to obtain ISBN
#s than by paying Bowker's fees? Years ago ISBN prefixes and numbers
were free and I obtained a prefix and what I thought was a lifetime
supply of numbers in 1989. But as it turns out, I'm nearing the end of
the numbers. Bowker's staff has informed me that I will not be able to
keep my original ISBN prefix (for any amount of money) and that if I
want to obtain a prefix that I can use consistently, I will have to
purchase a huge quantity, pay a large fee, and be liable for a
continuing yearly fee. I have two questions for the listserv: 1. Does
anyone else issue ISBN #s or a suitable equivalent? 2. Do librarians
and other media professionals care whether a DVD, VHS, or book has an
ISBN # or not?
=20
Many thanks.
=20
Jocelyn Riley
HerOwnWords.com
NontraditionalCareers.com =20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C64DDF.65B2B096

Even though = it takes a=20 few extra clicks, you can find ISBN numbers thru this website without = "buying"=20 subscriptions to the "regular sources".

http://isbn.nu/

Just enter = the search=20 info, then click on your result. The ISBN number appears in the search = box,=20 toward the top.

Mark