Re: [Videolib] ISBN #s

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:21:53 -0800

--Apple-Mail-2--611727072

We use our own accession numbers; teachers here care about content, not=20=

ISBNs.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA 94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Wednesday, March 22, 2006, at 09:06 AM, Herownword@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone on this listserv know of an alternative way to obtain ISBN=20=

> #s than by paying Bowker's fees?=A0 Years ago=A0ISBN prefixes and=20
> numbers=A0were free and I obtained a prefix and what I thought was a=20=

> lifetime supply of numbers in 1989.=A0 But as it turns out, I'm =
nearing=20
> the end of the numbers.=A0 Bowker's staff has informed me that I will=20=

> not be able to keep my original ISBN prefix (for any amount of money)=20=

> and that if I want to obtain a prefix that I can use consistently, I=20=

> will have to purchase a huge quantity, pay a large fee, and be liable=20=

> for a continuing yearly fee.=A0 I have two questions for the =
listserv:=A0=20
> 1.=A0 Does anyone else issue ISBN #s or a suitable equivalent?=A0 2.=A0 =
Do=20
> librarians and other media professionals care whether a DVD, VHS, or=20=

> book has an ISBN # or not?
> =A0
> Many thanks.
> =A0
> Jocelyn Riley
> HerOwnWords.com
> NontraditionalCareers.com=A0

--Apple-Mail-2--611727072

We use our own accession numbers; teachers here care about content,
not ISBNs.

Brigid Duffy

Media Acquisitions

Academic Technology

San Francisco State University

San Francisco, CA 94132-4200

E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

On Wednesday, March 22, 2006, at 09:06 AM, Herownword@aol.com wrote:

=
am><smaller>Does
anyone on this listserv know of an alternative way to obtain ISBN #s