RE: [Videolib] ISBN #s

Carol Dunn (dunn@findlaylibrary.org)
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:59:10 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C64DDA.528D5080

Jocelyn,
All the computerized card catalogs for Libraries are really nothing more
than huge databases. The one thing that keeps them organized is an ISBN
number. So, safe to say that yes, all Librarians and any other media
professional people would agree that they are necessary.
Regards,
Carol Dunn
AV Manager, NT Administration/Web
Findlay-Hancock County Public Library
206 Broadway
Findlay, OH 45840
TELEPHONE:419-422-1712
FAX:419-422-0638
dunn@findlaylibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Herownword@aol.com [mailto:Herownword@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:06 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] ISBN #s

Does anyone on this listserv know of an alternative way to obtain ISBN #s
than by paying Bowker's fees? Years ago ISBN prefixes and numbers were free
and I obtained a prefix and what I thought was a lifetime supply of numbers
in 1989. But as it turns out, I'm nearing the end of the numbers. Bowker's
staff has informed me that I will not be able to keep my original ISBN
prefix (for any amount of money) and that if I want to obtain a prefix that
I can use consistently, I will have to purchase a huge quantity, pay a large
fee, and be liable for a continuing yearly fee. I have two questions for
the listserv: 1. Does anyone else issue ISBN #s or a suitable equivalent?
2. Do librarians and other media professionals care whether a DVD, VHS, or
book has an ISBN # or not?

Many thanks.

Jocelyn Riley
HerOwnWords.com