Re: [Videolib] out of print titles

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:41:26 -0500

--B_3225789687_134824042

I hate to make you nervous but I think this is dangerous
Paypal is a very bad company and you sign away ALL your rights to object to
ANY action they may take other than their own mediation
People have literally had their bank accounts wiped out by them and while
your bank
Would hopefully support you it can get messy.
I suggest looking at the web site paypalsucks.com

Alas for eBay users like myself they are a necessary evil but to avoid them
EVER being
Able to mess with my bank account , I went in set up a 2nd account with $20=
0
and let them
=B3link=B2 to that. It is a pain but the only way I would feel comfortable with
this

Regarding the 3 EXTRA steps they now make you take when you use your credit
Card INSTEAD of bank account, I think this a huge scam that ought to be
investigated
They induce you to sign up telling you how =B3safe=B2 they are to use a CC
Than they force you to take several extra steps to use it, all the while
claiming it is
SAFER to use your bank account. Needless to say paypal will make
SUBSTANTIALLY more
Money if you use your bank account as they won=B9t pay the CC fees but it is
MUCH more
Dangerous to use your bank account as you can always refuse a CC bill. I
know
Someone who had his CC twice stolen through paypal and over $6,000 billed
but as it=20
Was a CC he was OK. Seriously I think CC companies ought to sue paypal for
its misleading
And dangerous assertions re the =B3safety=B2 of using the bank account

Anyway I really think it is dangerous to let them access your main bank
account

On 3/21/06 11:59 AM, "Brigid Duffy" <bduffy@sfsu.edu> wrote:

> Regarding the Paypal limit, which I hit sometime last year; after much fu=
ssing
> and fuming with both my institution and Paypal, neither of which showed a=
ny
> flexibility, I listed my own bank account number in the Paypal account. I
> NEVER use my bank account for purchases, which means every time before ma=
king
> a Paypal purchase I have to change the payment option to credit card (the
> University's) and click through the Paypal message about 'wouldn't it be
> easier to just use the bank account' message, but that seemed to be the o=
nly
> thing that would work.
>=20
> Yes, someday I will regret this.
>=20
> Brigid Duffy=20
> Media Acquisitions
> Academic Technology
> San Francisco State University
> San Francisco, CA 94132-4200
> E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu
>=20
>=20
> On Monday, March 20, 2006, at 08:21 AM, Gary Handman wrote:
>=20
>> We buy tons of OP stuff from amazon...a real boon!=A0 We have had a couple=
of
>> bum transactions, but generally working thru amazon marketplace works li=
ke a
>> charm.=A0 We've set up and institutional account pegged to a credit card n=
umber
>> to handle these transactions.
>>=20
>> Ebay pretty much sucks for library business.=A0 Paypal (the only real way =
>> pay) has a top life-of-account limit--it's something like 2 grand.=A0 Once=
you
>> hit this limit, you need to give paypay access to a bank account--someth=
ing
>> no institution in its right mind would do.
>>=20
>> Gary Handman=20
>=20

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3225789687_134824042

Re: [Videolib] out of print titles I hat= e to make you nervous but I think this is dangerous
Paypal is a very bad company and you sign away ALL your rights to object to=
ANY action they may take other than their own mediation
People have literally had their bank accounts wiped out by them and while y= our bank
Would hopefully support you it can get messy.
I suggest looking at  the web site paypalsucks.com

Alas for eBay users like myself they are a necessary evil but to avoid them= EVER being
Able to mess with my bank account , I went in set up a 2nd account with $20= 0 and let them
“link” to that. It is a pain but the only way I would feel comf= ortable with this

Regarding the 3 EXTRA steps they now make you take when you use your credit=
Card INSTEAD of bank account, I think this a huge scam that ought to be inv= estigated
They induce you to sign up telling you how “safe” they are to u= se a CC
Than they force you to take several extra steps to use it, all the while cl= aiming it is
SAFER to use your bank account. Needless to say paypal will make SUBSTANTIA= LLY more
Money if you use your bank account as they won’t pay the CC fees but = it is MUCH more
Dangerous to use your bank account as you can always refuse a CC bill. I kn= ow
Someone who had his CC twice stolen through paypal and over $6,000 billed b= ut as it
Was a CC he was OK. Seriously I think CC companies ought to sue paypal for = its misleading
And dangerous assertions re the “safety” of using the bank acco= unt

Anyway  I really think it is dangerous to let them access your main ba= nk account

Regarding the Paypal limit, which I hit sometime last y= ear; after much fussing and fuming with both my institution and Paypal, neit= her of which showed any flexibility, I listed my own bank account number in = the Paypal account. I NEVER use my bank account for purchases, which means e= very time before making a Paypal purchase I have to change the payment optio= n to credit card (the University's) and click through the Paypal message abo= ut 'wouldn't it be easier to just use the bank account' message, but that se= emed to be the only thing that would work.

Yes, someday I will regret this.

Brigid Duffy
Media Acquisitions
Academic Technology
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, CA  94132-4200
E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu

We buy tons of OP stuff from amazon...a real boo= n!=A0 We have had a couple of bum transactions, but generally working thru ama= zon marketplace works like a charm.=A0 We've set up and institutional account = pegged to a credit card number to handle these transactions.

Ebay pretty much sucks for library business.=A0 Paypal (the only real way to = pay) has a top life-of-account limit--it's something like 2 grand.=A0 Once you= hit this limit, you need to give paypay access to a bank account--something= no institution in its right mind would do.

Gary Handman