RE: [Videolib] out of print titles

Bergman, Barbara J (barbara.bergman@mnsu.edu)
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:37:33 -0600

I've had good luck using DV&A to locate out-of-print video titles.
http://www.dva.com/

They might work well for you, since they take purchase orders.
Their prices are reasonable for out-of-print & it's reassuring to have
them do the work of verifying that the item appears to be legit.

~Barb

Barb Bergman
Media Services Librarian
Minnesota State University-Mankato
(507) 389-5945

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Andrea
Slonosky
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 9:31 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] out of print titles

Hello all,

Do any of you have a coherent policy/procedure regarding out of print
titles? I've had a few requests recently for titles that are easily
available from third party vendors, on Amazon or e-bay, for example, but
we never buy them. A work-around that I've thought about would be to buy
the titles myself, and get a reimbursement from petty cash or something,
but that seems to be something that could quickly get out of hand, and
not really an appropriate way to develop a collection.

I know that out-of-print dealers for books exist, and most libraries
have a relationship with a vendor who specializes in this area; I'm
wondering if it would be possible to set up a similar policy for media
materials. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Andrea Slonosky
Media Librarian/Assistant Professor
Brooklyn Campus Library
Long Island University