Re: [Videolib] clips and copyright

deg farrelly (deg.farrelly@asu.edu)
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:10:04 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_t6l5dkyy23DcgvQeQLShzw)

Sorry, I misread Gary=B9s original note.

<
> Because it's not "transformative" (thank you very much, Jessica) -- a
> multimedia project presumably uses these clips in an original intellectua=
l or
> academic context...
>=20
Simply ripping clips from copyrighted DVDs onto another DVD for convenienc=
sake is something quite different. In pulling this off, you'd have to appl=
the >

I interpreted those comments to mean that clip duplication for convenience
would not be fair use, but that clip duplication for transformative use
probably would be.

That is why I responded with reference to the Fair Use Guidelines for
Educational Multimedia.

Gary goes on to make a case that short clip duplication for short term use
might be fair use. And I agree... But as the law spells out... Only the
courts can determine....

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
Arizona State University at the West Campus

From: Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> Reply-To: "videolib@library.berkeley.edu" <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:06:51 -0800 To: "videolib@library.berkeley.edu" <videolib@library.berkeley.edu> Subject: Re: [Videolib] clips and copyright

hi deg

Seems to me that what's being described does not fit very comfortably withi= n the CCUMC guidelines ... the guidelines seem to address using intellectual property in transformative ways: i.e. incorporating copyrighted media within the context of other intellectual "products" created by the user ...

When push comes to shove, I think the big clamor is for being able to make compilations of clips to use in teaching, either synchronously or asynchronously (e.g. via course web sites etc.). These needs and wants aren't really addressed in the guidelines.

Gary

--Boundary_(ID_t6l5dkyy23DcgvQeQLShzw) Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Re: [Videolib] clips and copyright Sorry= , I misread Gary’s original note.

<

Because it's not "transformative" (thank you = very much, Jessica) -- a multimedia project presumably uses these clips in a= n original intellectual or academic context...

Simply ripping clips from copyrighted DVDs onto anoth= er DVD for convenience sake is something quite different.  In pulling t= his off, you'd have to apply the >