Re: [Videolib] out of print titles

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:48:59 -0500

There was a funky company in New York called Video Oyster that specialized
in rare out of print stuff but I don't know if they are still around.
I don't think anyone else specializes in genuinely rare and legit titles
though a number of places have used ones

Ebay is probably your best bet if you can find a way around your
Bureaucracy. HOWEVER the problem is that probably 2/3rds of the
"rare " videos on eBay are illegal copies so you need to be careful
I would say the single most obvious sign is a seller who has
MANY "rare" titles which amazingly include many NEVER released on video,
sells the same titles OVER AND OVER again and at cheap flat rate
These are ALWAYS pirate copies. However if you search you can usually
find most any legally released video on eBay in a legitimate used copy.
FYI the other most obvious sign is that the out of print video you are
looking for is being sold on DVD , except it was never released on DVD

jessoca

On 3/20/06 10:31 AM, "Andrea Slonosky" <Andrea.Slonosky@liu.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Do any of you have a coherent policy/procedure regarding out of print
> titles? I've had a few requests recently for titles that are easily
> available from third party vendors, on Amazon or e-bay, for example, but
> we never buy them. A work-around that I've thought about would be to buy
> the titles myself, and get a reimbursement from petty cash or something,
> but that seems to be something that could quickly get out of hand, and
> not really an appropriate way to develop a collection.
>
> I know that out-of-print dealers for books exist, and most libraries
> have a relationship with a vendor who specializes in this area; I'm
> wondering if it would be possible to set up a similar policy for media
> materials. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
>

> Andrea Slonosky
> Media Librarian/Assistant Professor
> Brooklyn Campus Library
> Long Island University