Re: [Videolib] out of print titles

Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:21:41 -0800

--=====================_347017250==.ALT

We buy tons of OP stuff from amazon...a real boon! We have had a
couple of bum transactions, but generally working thru amazon
marketplace works like a charm. We've set up and institutional
account pegged to a credit card number to handle these transactions.

Ebay pretty much sucks for library business. Paypal (the only real
way to pay) has a top life-of-account limit--it's something like 2
grand. Once you hit this limit, you need to give paypay access to a
bank account--something no institution in its right mind would do.

Gary Handman

At 07:31 AM 3/20/2006, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Do any of you have a coherent policy/procedure regarding out of print
>titles? I've had a few requests recently for titles that are easily
>available from third party vendors, on Amazon or e-bay, for example, but
>we never buy them. A work-around that I've thought about would be to buy
>the titles myself, and get a reimbursement from petty cash or something,
>but that seems to be something that could quickly get out of hand, and
>not really an appropriate way to develop a collection.
>
>I know that out-of-print dealers for books exist, and most libraries
>have a relationship with a vendor who specializes in this area; I'm
>wondering if it would be possible to set up a similar policy for media
>materials. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
>

>Andrea Slonosky
>Media Librarian/Assistant Professor
>Brooklyn Campus Library
>Long Island University