Re: [Videolib] clips and copyright

Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:29:14 -0800

--=====================_113470046==.ALT

huh?

Because it's not "transformative" (thank you very much, Jessica) -- a
multimedia project presumably uses these clips in an original
intellectual or academic context...

Simply ripping clips from copyrighted DVDs onto another DVD for
convenience sake is something quite different. In pulling this off,
you'd have to apply the

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use
is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes,
2. The nature of the copyrighted work,
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to
the copyrighted work as a whole; and,
4. The effect upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

My guess is that taking a limited number of short clips for
short-term use in the classroom would hold up as fair use. Keeping
this compilation around forever is another matter. As I was trying
to say in this article, there is this issue of "spontaneity" sewn
into the copyright law...

Anyone else want to weigh in?

gary

>Why doesn't making a DVD of clips from other DVDs count as a multimedia
>project?

>check it out...the author misquoted me, but c'est la student
>journalism, I guess
>
>http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/441a7d6d39fd7
>

>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley
>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
>*****
>
>"In societies where modern conditions of production prevail,
> all of life presents itself as an immense accumulation of
>spectacles."
> --Guy Debord

UC Berkeley

*****