RE: [Videolib] Re: political pot shots on the listserv

Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:23:23 -0800

--=====================_177906843==.ALT

OK...this positively the last word on this...

I've always maintained a fairly hands-off approach to moderating this
list...but things could change in short order...

Gary

At 07:45 AM 3/15/2006, you wrote:
>Mark,
>I've been fortunate enough to benefit from the wisdom in your posts
>and appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge on the
>video librarian listserv. I agree that the listserv is a place for
>information about video and not a place to air political rhetoric,
>religious views or a preference for a professional sports team (I'm
>guilty of the latter on at least one occasion.) However, while
>Jessica's quips are bothersome for some list subscribers your reply
>(attack) was offensive.
>There are many ways (off list?) you could have reminded Jessica that
>her comments were off-subject and unappreciated. The method you
>chose was out of line and unprofessional.
>Regards,
>John
>
>PS. Please don't confuse the origins of my comments with party
>affiliation, I'm not a Bush fan nor was I a Kerry fan (or a Gore fan
>for that matter.)
>

>John F. Fossett
>Media Librarian
>Kitsap Regional Library
>1301 Sylvan Way
>Bremerton, WA 98310
><jfossett@krl.htm>jfossett@krl.org
>(360)405-9101
>

>----------

UC Berkeley

*****

spectacles."
--Guy Debord
--=====================_177906843==.ALT

OK...this positively the last word on this...

I've always maintained a fairly hands-off approach to moderating this list...but things could change in short order...

Gary

Iíve been fortunate enough to benefit from the wisdom in your posts and appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge on the video librarian listserv.  I agree that the listserv is a place for information about video and not a place to air political rhetoric, religious views or a preference for a professional sports team (Iím guilty of the latter on at least one occasion.) However, while Jessicaís quips are bothersome for some list subscribers your reply (attack) was offensive.
There are many ways (off list?) you could have reminded Jessica that her comments were off-subject and unappreciated. The method you chose was out of line and unprofessional.
Regards,
John

PS. Please donít confuse the origins of my comments with party affiliation, Iím not a Bush fan nor was I a Kerry fan (or a Gore fan for that matter.)

John F. Fossett
Media Librarian
Kitsap Regional Library
1301 Sylvan Way